Thursday, February 10, 2011

hmmm

Coffee is soooo good that really, what else could you drink?
Water? Soda? All lame compared to this dark delicious delight.
"Be undeniably good. When people ask me how do you make it in show business or whatever, what I always tell them and nobody ever takes note of it ‘cause it’s not the answer they wanted to hear — what they want to hear is here’s how you get an agent, here’s how you write a script, here’s how you do this — but I always say, ‘Be so good they can’t ignore you.’ If somebody’s thinking, ‘How can I be really good?’, people are going to come to you. It’s much easier doing it that way than going to cocktail parties."— Steve Martin
You know, Mr. Martin, you are quite correct. If you're so good at your chosen profession, how the hell could you be ignored? 

With that said... I know some people who are so amazingly great at their jobs that I often wonder if they will ever decide to branch out of their comfort zone and try something different, something that may or may not increase their apparent amazing capabilities... I mean, it's not bad that you're so great at one thing, but what if that one thing you're so good at, someone else comes along and this individual is more amazing than you are? What happens then? Do you step up your game, or just keep doing the same thing you've been doing after several years? Wouldn't you be worried about perhaps losing your job? Or being downgraded to a different department?
I think these days you have to be willing to be so versatile and have many [acquired] skills. You have to bring your A game every day, and not slack off [though, if you're feeling ill, can't really fault you there]. You have to be at your best at every second of every minute in every hour daily. 24/7 giving it your 110% (or more if you're an real over-achiever). 
/shrugs ... with me, I try to do my best, but I know for a fact that I don't always give each task that I do my "all" ... I like to choose my battles and go accordingly. There's a war that I'm involved in, and I can't always exhaust myself in every little thing that I do. (I'd be too tired to do anything else, and frankly, most of the time, I'm running on fumes).
However, I want to be so good at one thing, and I feel as if I haven't quite achieved that. I have many skills, and every day, I'm learning something new, which is nice because I don't feel bored -though, I do still feel bored at times, because things are redundant and I don't like that- and I'm almost always doing something. 

I need to take a break, though. I really do, but whenever I get free time... oh wait, I don't know what this free time concept is any more. Since starting this new job, I'm growing in leaps and bounds. Learning so much. It's insane. And the other job that I have, there's constant training... brain overload. I need a hobby or two to keep myself grounded. I need time to see and hang out with friends. I need time [and he needs time, too] to just chill and be with Dr.Fast&Furious... ((side note: "frustrating" doesn't even begin to describe how I feel... "missing" is more apt to be quite honest. "missing quality time spent" would be the phrase.))

I have come to realize that the word "busy" sucks majorly. Other words that also share in "major suckyness" are the following: workaholic, overtime, ..... and other words that I can't think of at the moment. 

I strive to maintain a balance between work and fun, and most times, I do prevail, but it's so hard. Shouldn't come as a surprise to me because nothing has ever come easy to me. Oh, god forbid, if my life ever becomes predictable at all because right now, there are too still too many unknowns, and stability is something I'll never have. I'm always going to have a roller-coaster kind of life with long windy ups-and-downs and don't forget the sharp turns. 

I'm not a big fan of roller-coasters; I hate the waiting in line for a ride that doesn't even last a minute. But, the adrenaline rush? I do like that. It's just that lately, as I have said already, I've been running on fumes. I would love to have a free weekend... just doing absolutely nothing.
To do nothing... man, I'd feel lazy. End up doing something like rearrange my room or my closet [as I've been known to do on occasion :winks:]

1 comment:

  1. I've come to realize recently how much free time I personally actually have. I complain if I have to go someplace after work, but really I'm just being lazy. Compared to you, I have tons of free time.

    I guess it's all a matter of perspective. I have a friend working a full-time job, a part-time job, and going to school full time. I don't know how he manages it, and somehow has time to take care of his apartment, his wife, and play video games.

    ReplyDelete